Microstructure FEA by OOF2 and Abaqus
- OOF2 is a program developed by NIST which can take a micrograph to create a finite element model with a specific microstructure.
- OOF2 itself can solve for the local behavior of a material and a range of physical phenomena. The microstructure model generated in OOF2 can also be imported in Abaqus for analysis.
- Comparing to “drawing” a simplified microstructure in Abaqus, combining OOF2 and Abaqus is a better approach to microstructure FEA.
- General procedure
- Set pixel groups based on image pixels in OOF2.
- Assign material properties to the pixel groups, including mechanical properties (Young’s Modulus, Poisson’s Ratio) and CTE in OOF2.
- Meshing the image in OOF2.
- Import the model with stable mesh generated by OOF2 for Abaqus simulation.
- Simulate in Abaqus.
- We ran FEA in both OOF2 and Abaqus and compared the results to validate the approach.
- Plain stress model
|Material||E (GPa)||CTE (ppm/)|