Does the idea of conducting informational interviews feel intimidating?
Consider thinking of them as “curiosity conversations”—opportunities to make meaningful connections with folx in your field and gain insights and advice that will help you move forward in your career development.
If you missed our information interviewing webinar last week, here are some key takeaways:
- Clarify your interests, needs, and goals to assess what knowledge and insights will help you move forward in your career exploration.
- Identify contacts from your network who possess the background or expertise in your area of interest, including through the CSSW LinkedIn Group or career mentoring program for students.
- Prepare a brief overview of your professional experience and an agenda for the meeting to ensure you leave with your “must” takeaways.
- Ask thoughtful questions that can provide actionable insights and build upon what you already know.
- Make sure to follow-up with a thank you note and keep the contact up-to-date on your progress.
You can find the presentation slides in Career Connect within our Document Library under the Workshops / Webinars / Presentations folder.