Whether you plan to apply for a summer internship or post-grad opportunity, there are steps you can take now to prepare, including drafting a target list of employers. You can begin this process by:
- Researching organizations you want to work for based on their mission and impact. Not sure where to start? Check out the links in the Employer Research folder within the Document Library of Career Connect.
- Identifying opportunities within these organizations that align with your knowledge, skills, and interests.
- Making connections and conducting informational interviews with people working at these organizations in roles that you hope to attain.
Learn more at our Job Search Workshop on Tuesday, October 27 from 1:00 to 1:50 PM in Room C06! There will be another workshop for those seeking summer opportunities on Thursday, November 14.
Summer break is finally here! Some of you may be taking classes, others, starting their internships or taking some much needed R&R time. Regardless of your plans for the next few months, remember that this is a prime time to reflect on your career goals and prepare for the next year.
Below are some ways you can make the most of the summer:
- Update your marketing materials (resume, LinkedIn): Include your latest accomplishments and establish a LinkedIn profile if you don’t already have one. (Haven’t started a LinkedIn page? Take a look at this checklist for quick tips.)
- Cultivate your professional network: Schedule coffee chats and informational interviews with professionals you’d like to meet or learn from using resources such as the Online Alumni Community and LinkedIn Group. You can also attend various networking events in your area based on your interests.
- Create a career action plan: Start honing in on your post-grad plans including your target job, so you know what knowledge, skills, and connections you should be building through the next year. (Looking for opportunities to develop your skill set? Volunteer or take free skill-building courses.)
For more tips and insights, schedule an appointment with us via Career Connect. As a reminder, through the summer months, our office will be available by appointment only.