Categories
Uncategorized

COP28 RewirED Speech by CSD’s Eco Ambassador Vidya Bindal

By Vidya Bindal

As an Eco Ambassador how have you been helpful to push for Sustainability in your township?

Speech:
Hello, namaste everyone, my name is Vidya Bindal and I am a tenth grader at Millburn High School, in New Jersey, United States. I am, and have been, an Eco Ambassador and an imperfect climate activist since 2019, with Columbia University’s Earth Institute. I would like to keep my thanks for this opportunity short, as there truly is a lot that needs to be discussed today, however there are some names that I must mention, for these are people who have continued to personally inspire me: Dr. Sachs, and Dr. Iyengar.

Growing up, we were always a frugal and an environmentally-aware family, but my active climate journey began during my trip to India 4 years ago, with SDG 12, responsible consumption and production. I noticed India’s elimination of plastic straws in various restaurants and decided to come back to my town, Millburn, to see how a similar initiative could be implemented in our local schools. After compiling a presentation on how India, and a rare few schools in the U.S. were doing it, I presented a reusable cutlery research to both the principal of my elementary school and the superintendent of Millburn schools. The elementary school then activated a plastic cutlery ban because the Principal was already inclined to do that, but the same could not be done for all schools. In fact the school even issued reusable cutlery to students, complete with a cutlery bag! I had submitted my presentation and goals, to the call for the first ever Eco-Ambassador program that year-2019, and my project was selected. I was invited to present in Columbia University’s Earth Institute, during Climate Week, to an insightful audience, including Dr. Sachs.

I, along with many others in my community, then made presentations in the town hall to support a town wide ban on single use plastic bags, SDG 11. I organized a movie night in the local library to watch sustainability documentaries followed by a discussion session, SDG 13. I created a survey to understand our town’s willingness for townwide food waste composting SDG 11. Over the years, I have actively participated in organizing and executing projects, such as monitoring microplastics in our town’s Rahway River SDG 14, cleanup drives and plogging hikes, SDG 15, fast fashion awareness SDG 5, have written and presented across multiple blogs and forums, and am currently assisting in writing a toolkit for global citizenship education alongside the Bank-Ki Moon Foundation, SDG 13, and finally, native plant information including distribution of native plant saplings, and creation of native plant gardens on public spaces, SDG 15. I mention these sustainable development goals because that’s what they’re good for! I admire this framework for being an international guideline where there is something for everyone, to take action on anything they believe in, to empower those who want to make change.

But that alone isn’t enough. The white paper I collaborated on, emphasized the necessity of youth programs such as Eco Ambassadors. I have grown up wearing the badge of a climate activist with pride, benefitting from the guidance and resources afforded to me through this program, and I know that others can too. I participated in several eco-conversations and education summits organized by it, virtually during the pandemic, and in-person thereafter.
This past summer in particular, twice I was able to interact with a large international contingent of youth and policymaking groups, exchanging ideas and brainstorming. I have been empowered with thought, and voice to enable action, in not just myself, but hopefully, others.

For the first time, we see education receiving a seat at this international table. It gives me some hope, but there are a few things that need to be pointed out.
My take on youth is: One, Yes, there are youth out there who are not eco-aware, and the fault lies with the adult world that has simply not normalized environmentalism, at all really. Not in school curriculums, nor in social settings. Dr. Iyengar and Dr. Xe’s book “Climate Change Education” mentioned the KAB approach: Knowledge, Attitude, and Behavior, that though one may have the knowledge, the attitude and behavior are not directly related to it. But that just emphasizes that we have to incorporate climate education into everything, to learn how to be global citizens, and to find a solution to this system’s problem with a system’s solution.

Two: The following guidance and resources that you then provide, need to fit every child. Youth want to help. we’re not immune to the climate crisis, in fact we have to carry that burden forever. Kids have all sorts of interests, which form different passions. I myself play soccer, compete in track and field, do Indian classical dance, AND am an eco-ambassador, among my academics. Those are the things that have encouraged me to follow climate activism for gender equality, biodiversity, and research in environmental science. I am convinced that youth environmental leaders come in different types, with different hobbies, and THAT’S who the guidance should be aimed at. Those are our experiences that form our unique perspectives, and why wouldn’t you help us help ourselves for the problem you caused?? This white paper mentioned case studies such as The Green Program, UNESCO’s Operational Strategy on Youth, UNICEF’S generation Unlimited, but we need more, and we need it now.

And let me re-emphasize again, an IMPERFECT environmentally active youth is a large step to the end goal. Because that means living sustainably, within your means, but still living. It’s a life with your chosen amount of sacrifices, if that’s really what you want to call it, away from material, unsustainable, habits or purchases as are happening right now. But that means that you are living…. Sustainably. And that needs to become the new norm, through green skills, and green education. In a world where temperatures are rising, natural disasters are worsening, and human lives are lost,
You aren’t just shortening our futures, but ending our childhoods. We’re young! We have the courage, we have the visions, our sense of life, that’s what makes us kids! But that’s also exactly what you’re taking away from us by just sitting idly and not providing us with the tools to combat this climate crisis. Give us guidance, resources, education, just give us something. Thank you.