Staff Story Corner

DSC06738 (2)Go global with Adeline Ortiz, program coordinator, Gift Strategy, and a tale of her time in Cuba.

In this new feature, we’ll highlight a story or photo from a colleague that brings a Big Idea to life. Submit your Big Idea adventures to [email protected].

Last year, I had the privilege of spending two weeks in Havana, Cuba. I joined a distinguished team of faculty members from Hostos Community College, City University of New York, including its newly appointed President, Dr. David Gomez, in a first of its kind academic initiative. It was a unique experience to discuss issues in higher education pedagogy with Cuban scholars and educators, and an unprecedented opportunity for professional development and personal growth.

In an effort to totally immerse myself in the experience, I “interviewed” dozens of Cubans about their feelings towards America, Americans, and the possibility of a new relationship. Unanimously, Cubans responded with great enthusiasm! “I’d love to see a McDonald’s on the corner,” said one young cab driver, en Español, of course! Well, let’s just forget the American flag and giant eagles; apparently, it’s the “golden arches” that represent the arrival of America!

It amazed me, though, how so many Cubans referenced the date of President Obama’s announcement regarding the new direction of the relationship with Cuba. The Castro regime made a simultaneous announcement on December 17, 2014. The interesting thing is how every Cuban I spoke with knew it, like it was a major holiday – New Year’s Eve or July 4th! They were so excited about it.

As the days passed, my excitement also increased. I could see all of the benefits and none of the disadvantages of moving forward with this relationship. When I mentioned that some U.S. Cubans were very upset about the announcement, the overwhelming response was, “Well, let them come back and live here!” That was as aggressive as anyone dared to speak about the oppressive culture of the country. It was clear, Cubans were afraid to openly express their concerns. Instead, they focused on all of the positives about their country, like the free health care and educational system. Cubans can go on to earn an advanced degree 100% at the expense of the Cuban government! Not attending college is not an option for Cubans! They look forward to attending the prestigious Universidad de La Habana.

As I stood in front of the building where Fidel Castro studied law, I thought of how amazing it would be for me to teach a course in American Business Law, which I’ve taught for many years in New York. However, I’m still navigating my technical Spanish!

The day before I left Cuba, the government announced the possibility of having a U.S. Embassy in Havana. I couldn’t resist a long walk in the blistering heat to capture a picture of the proposed site for our Embassy. Now that I’ve returned home to the many luxuries that I’ve taken for granted, I am increasingly aware of having been part of a historic moment in time.

Viva Cuba!