Should I Go To Grad School? Questions and Thoughts to Consider

A sign that you should slow down, or “stop and consider!” A street sign on West 77th street, Photo Credit: Elliot Hueske.

As a second-semester senior studying psychology and philosophy, I have found myself frequently considering post-graduate options of graduate school as opposed to work. Both disciplines that I am currently studying might seem to be oriented towards careers in academia, research, or other specialized fields that require graduate degrees. For example, psychology students often pursue empirical research in labs or become clinical therapists to help others. Philosophy students might be interested in working towards a PhD with the hopes of perhaps becoming a professor. Yet all of these potential routes have seemed too restrictive for me at this point in my life. I have been conscious of the fact that committing to a graduate program often does not lend itself to multidisciplinary approaches which is an essential facet of my personal and academic life. I have been hesitant to seek graduate programs as I was anxious that obtaining an advanced degree in one area might entail dedicating myself to that particular field for the rest of my professional life. While this is not always the case, the uncertainty and indecision surrounding it is entirely justified. Some people already know that they must attend graduate school to fulfill their professional vision, for example, a career in law or medicine. Yet many of us are still unsure. Furthermore, graduate school might feel like the straightforward choice: continue with higher education because it has worked for you so far. Yet there might be another voice encouraging you to try something new, to challenge yourself, to grow. 

So, what do I do if not graduate school? This is naturally the alternative inquiry to consider. There are numerous potential opportunities for you after undergrad that I can’t even attempt to list. I have been in the process of considering different work opportunities that might allow me to navigate my diverse interests and incorporate the tools that I have acquired studying at Columbia. Whatever form this might take, there are hundreds of opportunities that are not necessarily limited by the degree(s) that you earn in undergrad. Living within the insulated environment of academia for so long can feel a little less like “real life” (whatever this means!). Essentially, the privilege of being able to commit oneself to studying a specialized topic for years can be exclusionary and is, in fact, a very rare opportunity. To gain experience working will take you out of this mindset a bit. 

Moreover, just because you’re not applying for graduate school immediately after undergrad does not mean that graduate school is entirely out of the question. You can work for a bit after graduation and then decide if graduate programs are still calling to you. In fact, many institutions like to see a student who has taken an alternative path and explored a bit before committing to an advanced degree. Think about the learning that inherently occurs outside of the classroom—for some, this is the most productive kind of knowledge acquisition. 

If you find yourself considering graduate school, I would begin by asking yourself a few questions:

• Do you want to pursue a career in research, academia, or another specialized subject that might require an advanced degree? If yes, then you probably are already in the process of identifying graduate programs that speak to your interests. If you’re unsure, then you might want to investigate the careers that your degrees are best suited for. 

• Do you enjoy living and working within a formal academic environment? If yes, then graduate school might be a great choice for you. If you find that the most compelling and important life experiences for you have been isolated from the realm of academia, then perhaps you should take some time to pursue alternative interests before committing to graduate school. 

• What kind of community do you see yourself thriving in? One that consists of academics, researchers, and scholars, or one composed of people with practical experience and rich backgrounds? Both groups will encourage diversity of thought and meaningful experiences. 

• Are you a little uncertain of what you envision yourself doing in life? Trust me, even as a second semester senior I am entirely unsure of the path that I will end up on. This is nothing to be ashamed of. Life works in random ways where a chance occurrence might lead you to network with someone who offers you a job that you never imagined you would find yourself pursuing. Or you might find yourself a few weeks after graduation reading a paper that makes you realize you want to remain within the realm of research. Either way, you have to identify what works best for you and is most exciting to you. 

Also, important to keep in mind is that these considerations are simply what I have been contemplating recently. That is not to say that this kind of deliberation will work for everyone. We are all unique and independent beings. Plus, trial and error define life experiences. You will eventually find yourself where you’re meant to be, even if it’s not something you initially envisioned.

This entry was posted in Interviews, Life, major research, postgraduation plans. Bookmark the permalink.