Licensing Resource Links and Contacts

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The content shared below may not reflect the latest regulations and requirements, as they are subject to change from year to year. It is the responsibility of the professional seeking licensure to ensure that they stay abreast of any licensure and regulatory requirements by reviewing the respective licensing board website or reaching out to the board directly.

COVID-19 Updates


ASWB Resources

Applying for LMSW OR LCSW Licensure in New York State
(excerpted and adapted from the NYSED site, 1/2021)

Licensed Master Social Worker (LMSW) is the entry-level degree for individuals entering the social work profession.

Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) is the clinical license that allows the licensee to make a clinical social work diagnosis and provide psychotherapy and related services. It requires 36 months of lawful experience so new applicants must first become an LMSW to complete their experience and then apply for LCSW.

To apply for licensure as an LMSW or LCSW, complete the related online Form 1 linked further below. Based on your responses to questions asked in the online Form 1, you will be presented with a list of other forms and documents that will need to be submitted before you can be licensed in New York State.

Refer to this internal document for guidance on how to apply for the LMSW.

NOTE: New York State will not allow you to take the Masters Level Exam or apply for a permit (if you have a pending job offer) until after you have graduated. If you have any questions about the procedures after reviewing the document above, please email Betty Gee in Student Affairs at [email protected].

For more information on requirements and procedures for getting licensed, review the links below.

New York State Social Work Licensing Board

*For links to other state licensing boards, google “Social Work Board” and the respective state, refer to this quick reference document, or browse through ASWB’s Social Work Regulations and Licensure Requirements Database, which also has a Quick Report feature.

Application Forms and Resources

Other Relevant Links

CSSW Resources (requires UNI login)

School Certification

Contacts for Other Inquiries

    • For general inquiries regarding social work licensure, including application procedures, timelines, and exam requirements in other states, please contact the respective Social Work Board or review their website. An overview of social work regulations and licensure requirements throughout the U.S. and in Canadian jurisdictions can be found on the Association of Social Work Boards’ (ASWB) website. This includes links to other social work boards.
    • For questions regarding coursework required for clinical licensure, contact the Office of Advising at [email protected]. You can also view the list of CSSW courses that meet NYS LCSW requirements here.
    • For requests for verification of education and field placement/practicum hours and/or related documents, please complete the Letter Request Form and/or email the form to be completed by the school to Student Services at [email protected].
    • For transcripts, submit the request online via your SSOL account. If you attended before 2001, reach out to the Registrar’s Office as directed on their website.
      Note for recent graduates applying for licensure in NY:
      The University Registrar will send a list of all graduates (Form 20) directly to the Department to certify that you have graduated from a licensure-qualifying MSW program.
      If you graduated before May 2019, complete page 1 of the Certification of Professional Education (Form 2) and submit it to Betty Gee in Student Services via email at [email protected]. She will request the transcript on your behalf and send it along with Form 2 to New York State. Note that the state will not accept Form 2 from you directly.
    • For requests of descriptions of some of your CSSW courses or other general questions that are not answered by the state licensing boards and other sources mentioned, please reach out to Betty Gee at [email protected]
    • For questions regarding exam registration, score transfers, or related concerns, contact ASWB at 888-579-3926 or [email protected].
    • For questions regarding the NYSED Certification process, please email the Office of Teaching Initiatives at [email protected].