Winter Break and All Breaks

Finding the calm in New York City. Photo credit: Teresa Brown

This year winter break has been a bit shorter than usual. Finals ended late in December and we returned early in January. While this schedule change has been due to the unusual circumstances of this academic year, having less time off from school has made me appreciate the time I do get all the more.

As students, we are often taught good study habits in the context of how to make maximum use of every hour we spend doing school work. We learn how to make flashcards, how to make study guides, what kind of problems to do to prepare for an exam and how to edit an essay. There is also often pressure to stay up late doing work, sometimes sacrificing sleep. Learning how to work efficiently and how to stay focused are no doubt valuable skills, but working at full-capacity for as many hours as physically possible is unsustainable for most people. Managing a college schedule, one where I spend fewer hours in the classroom but have more work to complete outside of the classroom, has taught me the value of taking intentional breaks.

Whether taking a few moments of pause while writing a short essay or relaxing for a few weeks over winter break, intentionally stepping away from academic work is not only necessary but valuable. During the semester, taking short breaks — stepping away from an essay or problem set for a few hours — often helps me find clarity. When I revisit my work I am able to approach it with a fresh perspective.  Between semesters, be it winter or summer break, intentionally taking the time to do non-academic activities helps me prepare myself to begin the next semester with energy and enthusiasm.

In the past, taking breaks between semesters has been simple as I haven’t typically had work to complete. This semester, however, I have had quite a bit of work to complete for my senior thesis. Still, I made a conscious effort after finals ended to take several days off. Particularly after the heightened stress of finals, taking several days to just spend time with my family over the holidays was a much needed break.

No matter the scope of the project, managing the time you spend not doing work is just as important as managing the time you spend doing work. After all, I am my most productive when I am refreshed, well rested and ready to work hard.

This entry was posted in courses, COVID-19, New York City, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.