K-1 visa is a type of visa that allows a US citizen’s fiancée or fiancée to visit the United States of America. A foreigner with a K-1 visa must marry his or her US citizen petitioner within 90 days of entering or exiting the country. The alien spouse can apply for a Green Card through Form I-485 in the United States after being admitted to the United States as a K-1 nonimmigrant and marrying the US citizen petitioner.

Note that, while waiting for a K1 visa or K3 Spousal visa, you cannot stay in the United States on a tourist visa or a Visa Waiver. However, a B-2 tourist visa or the Visa Waiver Program can be used to make a temporary visit to the country.

The K-1 visa is not available to the spouse of green card holders, but they are eligible for a green card through a marriage where the procedure can take over 24 months.

What Are the K-1 Visa Requirements?

  • The petitioner from the United States must be able to demonstrate that he or she is a citizen of the country. 
  • If the sponsor has previously been married, he or she must show documentation that the marriage was officially ended by death, divorce, or annulment.
  • The sponsor must persuade USCIS officials and consular officers that the relationship is “bona fide,” and that he or she really wants to marry within 90 days of entering the country. This helps to prevent scammers from marrying US citizens solely for green card or citizenship.
  • The duo must demonstrate that they have met in person at least once in the last two years. Knowing each other isn’t counted except only that; they have met within the last two years.
  • The sponsoring U.S. citizen must meet the minimum income standards or find other ways to meet them accordingly.

Income Required For Sponsoring A K1 visa

The Sponsor’s Affidavit of Support certifies that they should earn enough money to support their relative in the US. The annual income criterion is often between $20,000 and $30,000. However, if the Sponsor’s income is insufficient, there are various other ways to demonstrate the needful.

Know What To Do After K1 Visa Is Approved

Before coming to know what to do after K1 Visa is approved, you shall also consider the fact that it may encounter delays due to USCIS workload and Request For Evidence. If you are not hiring immigration experts, it may get into more delays due to documentation errors. Generally, it takes 8-10 months to process with an additional 1-2 months for further notifications.

So, the bottom line is that the sponsored fiancé has six months from the date of approval of the initial I-129F form to travel to the United States after the K-1 visa is approved.

The couple must marry within 90 days after arriving in the United States, or the sponsored fiancé’s K-1 status will be revoked. If the couple chooses not to marry then the sponsored partner will be ineligible to stay in the United States and may face deportation.

Once you’ve married, you may apply for a green card through marriage, which will be sponsored by the same partner who sponsored the K-1 fiancé visa in the first place.