History

Postcrypt was founded at Columbia University in 1964 by Rev. John Cannon, then a campus chaplain. He enlisted Dotty Sutherland (now Dotty Janke) to help clean out and redecorate a dusty storage room in the basement of the chapel. They purchased some tables and chairs on the Bowery, and built a small stage for performers. Dotty designed and made a mosaic bar to serve coffee and refreshments.

John chose the name for the new hangout from an important work of one of his favorite philosophers, Soren Kierkegaard. Starting with the titleĀ Concluding Unscientific Postscript, John abbreviated the first two words as “C.U.” (also a common abbreviation for Columbia University), and changed the spelling of the third word to Postcrypt (to reflect the location of the coffeehouse in the “crypt” of the church). C.U. Postcrypt opened its doors in February, 1964.

Upon visiting Postcrypt, most alumni comment on how little it has changed over the years. The original stage survives to this day (though at some point, somebody nailed an extra layer of plywood to the top). The mosaic bar is also original, as are many of the tables and chairs. There is still a strange wooden box above one of the doors with “Postcrypt” in hand-lettered gothic print (origin unknown).

St. Paul's Chapel, 1160 Amsterdam Ave., Columbia University

St. Paul’s Chapel, 1160 Amsterdam Ave., Columbia University

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *