Meet new team member Kathleen Vital-Herne

My name is Kathleen Vital-Herne, and I’m elated to be the newest member of the SIPA Admissions and Financial Aid team.

I was born and raised in Queens, New York as a second-generation Haitian. I earned a Bachelor’s in Sociology from Stony Brook University, and a Master’s in Higher and Postsecondary Education from Columbia University’s Teachers College. During my graduate studies, I explored research that highlighted the disparities among racial minorities in their pursuit of higher education.

I’ve been in the Columbia community for six years, previously working at the School of Engineering and Applied Science. I have also worked at other institutions including Stony Brook University, Baruch College, and Fordham University. In my free time, I enjoy reading, traveling, and learning about different cultures. One of my favorite trips took place in the summer of 2015, where I taught English to third-graders in Ankara, Turkey.

As you weigh your options for graduate study, I would encourage you to explore the opportunities that SIPA may have for you. In my role, I’m looking forward to communicating with prospective students as they navigate the application process. I will also be upholding the School’s mission to support underrepresented populations. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me via email.