New Student Photo Series 2011 – Post #15

The new student photo series continues to turn out great shots.  If you have sent photos, thank you and we will work on posting.  If  you have yet to send photos see this entry for details.

– – – – – – – – – – – – –

Hi, my name is Nicolas Zaharya, from Argentina. I am an incoming student for the MPA-DP.

This is me, enjoying lake Nahuel-Huapi in Bariloche, an Argentina city by the Andes. The water is so clean and transparent but its also sooo cold!

Sun rise on the atlantic ocean in the city of Mar del Plata. They were building a new quay.

Children enjoying a new water conection in Lomas, a neighborhood on the suburbs of Buenos Aires, the most populated area in the country. They have been doing some impresive work extending water pipes for almost 1 million people.

– – – – – – – – – –

The following three shots were submitted by Debi Spindelman, an incoming MPA-DP student.

Shot with my 35mm fisheye camera in Ao Thong Nai Pan Yai on the island of Ko Phangan in the Gulf of Thailand. Longtail boats are a tourist photo staple, but the fisheye lens and some truly wild film helped capture the frenetic color of the islands in this region.

Shot with my D-SLR at Daraja Academy outside Nanyuki, Kenya. Last fall, I taught photography and creative writing to 52 young women of promise in Kenya’s first free all-girls secondary school. Part participatory research project and part creative project, I captured this shot of Form 1 students at an early-morning flag-raising ceremony as they shared a new song they had been learning. For images and words created by Daraja students through this project, check out www.OutsideTheLensatDaraja.blogspot.com.

Shot with my 35mm fisheye and waterproof housing at Pipes surf spot, Cardiff-by-the-Sea, CA. It’s easy to forget the glamour available domestically, and this was shot a few hundred yards from my house. I competed in surfing regularly for years, and am slowly selling off boards in anticipation of the surf-hiatus happening over the next two years.