The Alliance Graduate Summer School is an event organized by the Sustainable Development Doctoral Society of Columbia University. The Alliance Graduate Summer School began as a student-led initiative in 2012 in an effort to promote interdisciplinary exchange between graduate students researching the nexus of science and policy at Alliance institutions. The Summer School brings together world-class professors, industry experts and graduate students for exchange of ideas, intellectual discourse, and joint-learning opportunities through a mixture of guest speakers and workshops.
The 2023 summer school will take place during 5th-8th of June 2023 in Paris, France.
It will feature the following speakers (alphabetical, as of 12 Apr):
- Jeroen Aerts (Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam)
- Scott Barrett (Columbia University)
- Daniele Bocchiola (Polytechnic University of Milan)
- Mireille Chiroleu-Assouline (Paris School of Economics, Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne)
- Claude Crampes (Toulouse School of Economics, French National Center for Scientific Research)
- David Hémous (University of Zurich)
- Katrin Millock (Paris School of Economics, French National Center for Scientific Research)
- Anouch Missirian (Toulouse School of Economics, French National Research Institute for Agriculture, Food and the Environment)
- John Mutter (Columbia University)
- José Scheinkman (Columbia University, remote)
- Marta Torre-Schaub (Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne, French National Centre for Scientific Research)
The keynote speaker of the 2023 edition will be Professor Scott Barrett.
Scott Barrett is a leading scholar on transnational and global challenges, ranging from climate change to disease eradication. His research focuses on how institutions like customary law and treaties can be used to promote international cooperation.
He has advised a number of international organizations, including the United Nations, the World Bank, the OECD, the European Commission, and the International Task Force on Global Public Goods. He was previously a lead author of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change and a member of the Academic Panel to the Department of Environment in the UK.
Barrett previously taught at the Johns Hopkins University School of Advanced International Studies in Washington, D.C., where he also directed the International Policy program. Before that, he was on the faculty of the London Business School. He has also held visiting positions at Yale, Princeton, Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne, the Institute for Advanced Study in Berlin, and École Polytechnique. Barrett is a research fellow with the Beijer Institute (Stockholm), CESifo (Munich), and the Kiel Institute of World Economics.
Apply here by April 7th, 2023.
(click to enlarge)
For reference, schedules from previous years are available here. Speakers from past summer schools include Joseph Stiglitz, Nobel Laureate and Professor of Economics at Columbia, Christian Gollier, Professor and Director of Toulouse School of Economics; Eric Maskin, Nobel Laureate and Professor of Economics at Princeton; Jeffrey Sachs, Director of the Center for Sustainable Development at Columbia University; Bob Watson, former IPCC Chair; Jean Jouzel, IPCC Group I Chair; and Laurence Tubiana, Special Representative for the 2015 Paris Climate Conference, among others.