First Gen Stories

Natalie Nowak

No one in my family had ever been able to afford college despite their aspirations of attending. I, too, began to wonder as I entered high school if I would be able to pursue higher education. Watching older students graduate, I feared that I would not be “good enough” for any university at all and put immense pressure on myself to maintain high grades. This stress became so intense that I had difficulty sleeping and missed a significant number of class days due to constant body aches. However, my anxieties were assuaged when I received an acceptance letter to Smith College: my first choice out of all of the institutions to which I applied. Overjoyed, I began to slap “Smithie” merchandise over everything I could, eager to begin my time as an undergraduate student. As excited as I was, I was not prepared for the experience of navigating college as a first generation student. Decisions such as which major to pursue and whether or not to study abroad were completely novel to my family and I while my peers seemed to make them with plentiful guidance and ease. Even the culture on campus felt somewhat alien to me; as if everyone there knew something that I did not. Discovering sociology as a discipline was what truly unlocked my ability to realize the self as part of a larger community. After learning about the harsh roots of classism in the United States, I began to feel more empowered and defiant rather than ostracized and alone around Smith. Every achievement that I made felt like a sign of success for not just me but my entire family. Had I not unlearned the stigma against first generation students during my undergraduate studies, I do not think I would have had the strength to pursue a masters degree at Columbia. By now, my anxieties regarding my family’s lack of experience in higher education have entirely disappeared; instead, I identify as first-generation with pride and stand tall with my peers who forged their paths in academia.

Short stories and photographs have been collected of those who are First Gen students, graduates, staff, and alumni that are now part of the Columbia network. This project was not only to highlight those who are first generation but also to encourage high schoolers and undergraduate students to aim towards the Ivy League dream. If we could do it, so can they!

Share your story by completing this form.