First Gen Stories

Jason Garcia

My father was born in Puerto Rico and migrated to the U.S when he was a young child. My Mother was born in New York – and both were raised during the 70’s. Both of my parents completed High School but never graduated college. I was born in one of the most poverty stricken neighborhood in The South/South West Bronx, New York, in the late 80’s through the 90’s. Realizing that my parents didn’t gradate college, it pushed me even more to complete my degree program and graduate. Growing up in The Bronx, I attended two of the lowest academic performing schools in The Bronx and New York. The schools I attended were PS 147 Junior School and Taft High School. I found myself at Columbia University after being hired as a Director for Administrative Services and upon completion of my two-years of employment, I will attend Columbia University for my Masters. Thinking about some of the challenges; lack of support that came with making the decision to further my education, drugs and violence throughout my environment in The Bronx, Not many resources to prepare for college. However, my ambition spirit wouldn’t allow me to quit or give in – so I overcame these challenges by staying focused on my tasks and aligning my task to short term and long term goals – I went on to serve in the Army National Guard, attended Fordham University for Military Science & Strategic Leadership, and graduated from Monroe College with a BA, in Business Administration/Management and now I will be attending Columbia University.

Short stories and photographs have been collected of those who are First Gen students, graduates, staff, and alumni that are now part of the Columbia network. This project was not only to highlight those who are first generation but also to encourage high schoolers and undergraduate students to aim towards the Ivy League dream. If we could do it, so can they!

Share your story by completing this form.