First Gen Stories

Briana Gil

My college experience had been both rewarding and challenging. Since I could remember, being a mental health professional has been my dream. However, I always felt like I had to try harder than my friends and classmates. I’m a second and third generation Mexican immigrant. My entire family lives in San Antonio, Texas and I’m the furthest from home. So when it came to school, I often felt alone and confused. I was lucky enough to have friends help me along the way, and then cousins and in-laws that were able to provide support too that had gone to school too. I remember when I got into undergrad, my parents didn’t even know I applied. When I got into Columbia, my dad had never heard of the school. Within a day he called me and gave me a full “book report” over Columbia. He named presidents and historical figures that were Alumni. He was proud. Being a child of immigrants, I felt pressure to make my family proud. To fight harder because they sacrificed so much. I now realize it is more than that, I had to discover what I wanted. I had to fail at times. Cry during the hard times and find moments of joy. Graduating isn’t just for me though, it’s for the shoulders I’ve stood on to get here. For grandparents that risked it all, for my parents who’s love kept me going, my sister, my nephews, my uncles and aunts, my cousins, my children and partner. For my Aunt Lindy, my biggest cheerleader who only got to see my first year of grad school but will be there in spirit. For those who will come next. Most importantly, for me. What kept me going is remembering bad days make good days worth it and the only way you truly fail is by quitting. So don’t quit when it’s something you love and have passion for. To whom it may concern, don’t stop chasing your dreams, rise.

Short stories and photographs have been collected of those who are First Gen students, graduates, staff, and alumni that are now part of the Columbia network. This project was not only to highlight those who are first generation but also to encourage high schoolers and undergraduate students to aim towards the Ivy League dream. If we could do it, so can they!

Share your story by completing this form.