Steven Poser, Ph.D.

steven-poser

Steven Poser managed John Gibson Gallery in Soho, which was Dennis Oppenheim’s gallery in the 1970′s.  He was a consultant to the Whitney Museum, Programming Director of the Artists’ Television Network, and Visiting Critic in Drew University’s New York Semester on Contemporary Art. He has published in the areas of art criticism and psychoanalysis.  His recent book, The Misfit (RosettaBooks, 2011) has been a bestseller on the internet in three languages. An exhibiting painter since 1991, he has shown in twelve one-person and numerous group shows, including the Weatherspoon Gallery, University of North Carolina; Kunsthaus, Hamburg, Germany; White Box, Chelsea; Steelplant Gallery, Marist College; and Carrie Haddad Gallery, Hudson, NY. He received the 1997 Gradiva award in painting from the National Association for the Advancement of Psychoanalysis, and in 1998 was Visiting Artist at the Boston University School of Fine Art. He practices psychoanalysis in New York City and teaches clinical writing at the Center for Modern Psychoanalytic  Studies.

2 Responses to Steven Poser, Ph.D.

1. Pingback: Behind the Yellow Wallpaper: Literature and the Psychology of Change | New Lit Salon Press

2. Hans Galesloot says:

Dear Steven Poser,
    I’m a Dutch scriptwriter and novelist and I’ve been in psychoanalysis myself for many years. I read your terrific e-book about MM, it’s full of insights and explores the dilemma’s in the treatment by Dr. Greenson. I sometimes get the impression he was in love with MM. The same happened with the psychiater who treated the poet Sylvia Plath, as you know. She also killed herself. My question: you started The Misfit as a sort of research-paper for a French filmmaker. Did he or she write the screenplay? Are they going to make a film based on your marterial? Thank you for the answer.
    Kind regards,
    Hans Galesloot (see my writing credits on imdb.com)