Archives & Special Collections is pleased to announce a new exhibit, Selections from the Steinhardt Instrument Collection, now on display in the Augustus C. Long Health Sciences Library’s Knowledge Center on the lobby level of the Hammer Building.
The exhibit highlights about twenty surgical and obstetrical instruments that were once owned by Irving David Steinhardt, P&S 1906. Included are an obstetrical forceps, pelvimetry calipers, trephine, bone chisels, rake retractors, a uterine sound, and a tenaculum.
Irving David Steinhardt (1878-1942), the son of German immigrants, graduated from the College of Physicians & Surgeons in 1906. While maintaining a practice on West 78th Street in Manhattan, he also held several medical school and hospital appointments.
He taught in the Department of Surgery of the Cornell University Medical College, 1914-17, and was an assistant in the Department of Pediatrics at Mount Sinai Hospital, 1912-36. His main specialty, however, was orthopedic surgery: he was chief of the orthopedic clinic at Mount Sinai, 1917-18, and served 25 years (1910-35) as head of the orthopedic and rehabilitation surgery department at New York Hospital, now New York-Presbyterian Hospital.
His collection of about 50 surgical and medical instruments was given in 2000 to the Library’s Archives & Special Collections by his son, Dr. David Steinhardt (Columbia College, ’41; M.D., Cornell, ’44).
The exhibit will run through the summer and may be seen by anyone holding a valid CUMC or NYPH ID card. The Knowledge Center is a 24/7 space, accessible by ID card around the clock.
For more information about the exhibit, contact Stephen E. Novak, Head, Archives & Special Collections, at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about the A.C. Long Library’s Archives & Special Collections: http://library-archives.cumc.columbia.edu/