Session Idea #2

“Hand in My Pocket” Lyric Substitution Activity

Adapted from Music Therapy Time

Purpose of Activity

To increase self-awareness, emotional expression, autonomy, & self-esteem in adolescents. This particular song also helps challenge teens to think about the things that are within their control and aspects of their life they have the ability to change.

Materials

• iPod, Computer, or some other electronic device to play the selected on; headphones if in a space where music volume would be compromised
  • Blank paper and writing utensils
  • Printed copy (or copies) of “Hand in My Pocket” lyrics
  • Lyric Substitution worksheet (see below example)

Activity Breakdown

• This lyric substitution activity relies on the timeless and edgy song by Alanis Morissette, “Hand in My Pocket
  • Begin the session by asking the adolescent to think about the things they feel are “in their control” and “out of their control.”
  • On a blank piece of paper, ask the adolescent to trace their hand and then list the things they decided were in their control inside their hand, and the things outside of their control outside the hand.
  • Afterwards the hands are filled in (and out), transition into a lyric analysis of “Hand in My Pocket,” talking about the themes of acceptance, moving forward, change, and control.
  • Then using a printed lyric hand-in-my-pocket, encourage the adolescent to think of his own version of the song’s verses. Ask them to first identify something that is out of their control, and then something that is in their control as their way to cope.
    • For example: The song’s original line, “I’m broke but I’m happy” might be re-written as “I’m hurt but I’m coping.”
    • Teens tend to focus on the negative and their challenges, sometimes writing two negative statements in a row (i.e. “I’m a rebel but I’m tired”), so it is important to encourage them to write the challenge first and then the way in which they’re coping with that challenge (i.e. “I’m a rebel but I care”).

Things to Consider

• Given some of the adult language and themes in the song, it is most appropriate for older adolescents/high school students
  • If you are doing this with a group, have the each member of the group come up with a line or two (depending on size of group) to contribute to the song
  • I recommend allotting at least 30 minutes to complete the entire activity

Bookmark the permalink.