Heaven help us…

The HeavensDuring my talk, a few weeks ago, on virtual technology and its relationship to education, I argued that technology, applied to education, tends to be imagined as a kind of savior, rescuing education from it’s banal reality. But it’s not so simple: in fact, educational space has, from its beginnings, imagined itself as a virtual space.

So far so good. I agree with myself.

But I must admit, that I worried that maybe the techno-utopia angle is a bit over-stated. After all, just because we take advantage of the Wow factor, and talk of a laptop for every student, doesn’t mean technology is really so otherworldly. Haven’t we integrated it into our lives in relatively pragmatic, low key ways? When I perform a Google search, it is great, perhaps even still a bit amazing, but do I really imagine it as the gateway to a heavenly virtual domain?

Then, I read this…

In the Singularity Movement, Humans Are So Yesterday – NYTimes.com.

You could hardly make this up.

Categories: Educational Technology.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Comment Feed

4 Responses

1. Two words: Dr. Who. Cybermen anyone? How about the Daleks? Its kind of awe inspiring how humans utterly fail to learn from their past or from imagined futures…

Ravi AhmadJune 14, 2010 @ 8:41 amReply

Some HTML is OK

or, reply to this post via trackback.

What is 7 + 9 ?
Please leave these two fields as-is:
IMPORTANT! To be able to proceed, you need to solve the following simple math (so we know that you are a human) :-)

Continuing the Discussion

1. […] – The Chronicle of Higher Education less than an hour ago The Never Ending Story 3 months ago Heaven help us… 4 months ago Home Schooling – From Fringe to Inevitable? 4 months ago Virtually Speaking… 5 […]

2. … [Trackback]…

[…] Informations on that Topic: splittingskulls.com/chrismoffett/heaven-help-us […]…

3. … [Trackback]…

[…] Read More: splittingskulls.com/chrismoffett/heaven-help-us […]…