Albert Boulanger (M.S. CS Univ. of Illinois 1983) has been at Columbia University since 1994 and is Senior Staff Associate with CCLS. Prior to that, Albert was a scientist at Bolt, Beranek, and Newman. Albert has played multiple technical and oversight roles in several Con Edison projects using machine learning. He is valued for his ability to maintain a systems view of all the facets of large projects. His expertise includes systems integration, expert and knowledge-based systems, machine learning and pattern recognition — including the interface between numerical and symbolic algorithms, parallel computing, pattern recognition applied to time-lapse seismic data, computer representations of complex scientific and engineering objects, visualization, distributed systems, and interoperability.
Since 2005, Albert has applied machine learning to studying failure patterns of electric power distribution feeders and their components for Con Edison. More recently, Albert was involved in a Dept. of Energy funded Con Edison-led Smart Grid project to apply Dynamic Treatment Regimes to formulate optimized repair policies of power distribution components and another Smart Grid project to use Approximate Dynamic Programming for optimizing load curtailment decisions in distribution networks. Other Smart-X projects include using machine learning for optimizing charging of electric delivery trucks and efficient intelligent energy management of large NYC buildings. He is currently doing a cost vs. benefit analysis using causal inference of Con Edison programs concerning their secondary distribution networks and developing image analysis tools for thermal imaging inspections of underground structures for Con Edison.
- Here is a list of Albert’s papers, and patents from Google Scholar
- A review article he is a coauthor on: Vehicle Electrification: Status and Issues
- Blast from the past! Here is the 1985 Byte Magazine article Albert co-authored with Donald Michie and Robert Michaelsen on expert systems, The Technology of Expert Systems
- Albert’s Photo Gallery
- CV for Albert Boulanger
- BBN’s Jan 15th, 1984 full page recruitment ad in the Boston Globe with the Steamer Intelligent Tutoring development team. I am rightmost.
- Contact: agb6 at columbia dot edu