Home Away From Home

Some students might hesitate to choose a program where you have to do a home stay. As someone who has been living on her own for the past 7 years, I was also extremely worried. I shouldn’t have been. It is the best way to immerse yourself in a culture and to get to know the people. I had a loving family who took me in like I was their own child and who made me feel at all times like I was at home. Of course, there is a chance that you are not matched up with the best family for you and that the experience can be awkward. Here are a couple of tips to make the best out of your experience.

• Describe yourself and your preferences as best as possible on the application.  Are you shy or outgoing? Do you love kids? Do you love to eat or cook? Do prefer music, films or art? Tell them as much about you as you can, and how you think you interact with people in different social settings.
  • If you have severe issues the first few days, speak up! You don’t want your home stay to be a concern all semester. It should be the closest thing to your ‘sanctuary’ there.
  • Observe and adapt. How do they greet each other?  If you see them taking of their shoes at a particular time, follow their footsteps.
  • The first few days are important in your new home stay. Instead of heading out with other students immediately or locking yourself up in the room with work, bond with your family. Take time to get to know them. The first day I saw them all go to the t.v room to watch a soap opera they would watch every night. Though I didn’t understand anything, from that first day I went on my own incentive to the room to be part of that family time (and at the end I could understand much more so it also helps your language skills!) It doesn’t have to be tv. Go help or watch in the kitchen. Hang out of the window with you sister or brother and talk about what you are seeing in the street.  Who are the neighbours? What to they do? Propose to take a walk together. Also share about your life, pictures of your family and town. They can learn a lot from having you there.
  • Think to yourself: this is my home. It’s ok, it’s not intrusive or inappropriate. The more you feel that way, the more at ease you will put your family. Of course try to be discreet when you have to, if something is specifically a family issue. But don’t retreat yourself and remove yourself from moments. Some of my most unforgettable ones I shared with my family in the living room.
  • Even if a language barrier makes it harder: Engage in conversation. Tell them about your day and ask them about theirs. Share observations that you are making, experiences you had on the street. Ask about the neighborhood, the country.  They can provide you with a different historical insight than your class might. Often times your family can also give you the best advice, i.e what roads to take, where is the best place to get cheap good food, better supermarkets or bodega’s. Find out the interests and goals of your sister or brothers.
  • When you do feel like you need time or space, it’s also ok to let them know. I told my family a week in advance that the following week I would have papers due and that I’d be studying more and keeping to myself. I’d text them to tell them that I’d go for a walk after school. Don’t just disappear.
  • Remember that you have as much a responsibility to make yourself and them feel comfortable, as they do!

Enjoy your new family and make the best of it!