Campus/Buildings

Barnard Buildings & Campus

Milbank

List of Barnard Buildings on Morningside

Building/Land

Opened

Principal Donor

Principal Function

343 Madison Avenue

1889

Leased 4-story brownstone on Madison Avenue between 44th and 45th Classrooms
119th-120th block on Morningside

1895

$160,000 raised as “site fund” by Treasurer George A Plimpton Milbank To relocate to Upper West Side
Brinckerhoff [east wing of Milbank]

1897

Mary E. (Mrs. Van Wyck) Brinckerhoff gift of $130,000 made in 1892) Classrooms and theatre
Milbank Hall

1897

Elizabeth Milbank Anderson (gift of $170,000  made in 1895) Classrooms/Administrative offices
Fiske [west wing of Milbank]

1898

Mrs. Josiah Fiske (gift of $140,000 made in 1897) Classrooms, offices and temporary dormitory (1898-1901)
116th to 118th blocks — “Milbank Quadrangle”

1903

Elizabeth Milbank Anderson gift of $1,000,000 To expand campus to south
Brooks Hall (named after Trustee Chair Rev. Arthur Brooks (1889-1895)

1907

Elizabeth Milbank Anderson gift of Dormitory for 100 residents
Barnard (Students Hall)

1917

Mr. Jacob Schiff gift of $550,000 Student Center
Hewitt Hall, named after 2nd board chair, Abram Hewitt

1924

 Paid for from budgetary surpluses & endowment Dormitory
Holly House in Westchester (sold  1980)

1934

Barnard Alumnae Off-campus recreation
119th-120th St. lot west  of Milbank bewtween Claremont and Riverside Drive — “Riverside Quadrangle”

Annex to Barnard Hall constructed as a social space for commuting students

1935

1949

1/2  the gift of Rockefeller General Education Board;
Purchased  for $510,000

Gift of Mr. ad Mrs. Eugene Meyer (Agnes Ernst, BC ‘)7)

 

For future growth
Lehman (Adele)Hall & Wollman Library

1958

Funds raised by Iphigene Sulzberger and Helen Goodhart Altschul to honor Adele Lehman, BC 1904 Library/Faculty Offices
4 brownstones  — 616, 612,  620 and 600  W. 116th Street9

1960s

 College funds and borrowing Dormitories
Riverside Quadrangle sold back to GEBoard  1953s John D. Rockefeller, Jr. For Interchurch Center
Reid Hall, named for Helen Rogers Reid, BC 1903, board chair 1948-1956

1961

Reid Family Dormitory
Plimpton Hall – on Amsterdam Avenue & 120th Street

1968

Named for George A. Plimpton, Treasurer (1889-1935) Dormitory
McIntosh  Student Center

1968

Student Center
Altschul

1969

Altschul Family Science labs
Elliott Hall

1980

Mrs. Eleanor Elliott Mixed use
Sulzberger (Ephigene)

1989

Sulzberger Family Dormitory
Cathedral  Gardens

2005

Student/Faculty residence
Diana Center

2009

Diana and  Roy        Vagelos Student Center/Mixed Use
 Milstein Teaching & Learning Center  2018  $25,000, 000 naming gift from Cheryl and Phillip Milstein
National Register of Historic Places Listings November 21, 2003
NEW YORK, NEW YORK COUNTY, Milbank, Brinckerhoff, and Fiske Halls … NEW YORK COUNTY, Students’ Hall, Barnard College, 3005 Broadway, New York, …
http://www.nps.gov/…/20031121.htm

Best source: Andrew S. Dolkart,  Morningside Heights: A History of Its Architecture  & Development (Columbia University Press, 1998)

Last updated: January 2, 2014
ram31@columbia.edu

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *