Placement FAQs

1) Do I need to take the placement exam ONLINE?

a.  ALL undergraduate and graduate students who would like to enroll in Spanish 1101, 1102, 1120, 2101, 2102, 2103, and 2120 must take the placement exam, unless they have taken the previous course in the sequence at Columbia/Barnard.
b.  You may take this exam ONLY ONCE per academic year at your convenience.
c.  Columbia students: click here to take the exam; Barnard students: take the exam in myBarnard.

2) Do I need to a second placement exam?

If you scored above 625 when you took the placement examination on your own. Your exemption in this case will be verified by taking another version of the Placement Examination in person. It is similar to the one you took on your own online, so there is no special preparation for it. There are no essay questions and no oral component.

• For the Fall 2022 semester. Please click here to schedule a second exam and please do so by Friday, August 19th.
  • For the Spring 2022 semester: Please contact Kosmas Pissakos to schedule a second exam.

3) If I have a score of a 5 or a 4 on the Advanced Placement (AP) Spanish Language and Culture OR the AP Spanish Literature and Culture exams, do I need to take the Placement Exam to be exempt?

• No, you are exempt with this score.
  • You may want to check with your Advising Dean to make sure that your score from the College Board has been received and that your exemption is reflected on your transcript.

4) If I have a score of a 5 or a 4 on the AP Spanish Language and Culture OR the AP Spanish Literature and Culture exams, can I receive AP credit?

• Advanced Placement credit is not granted for a score of 4.
  • If you received a score of 5 in either exam you will be awarded three advanced placement credits upon successful completion of a 3300-level (or above) course in Spanish with a grade of B or higher.
  • Spanish 3300 is also the first course that counts toward a major or concentration in Hispanic Studies. Click here for additional information.

5) If I have a 5 or a 4 on the AP, can I enroll in Spanish 3300 – Advanced Language through Content?

6) Where can I find out about majoring or concentrating in Hispanic Studies?

• Click here for information about a major or concentration in Hispanic Studies.

7) Can I be exempt from the Language Requirement?

• Click here for additional information.